PDF Guide Generation

I guess this isn’t technically the engine, but it is part of the build process…

Do we have a solution for generating the PDF files (guides mainly) at this time? The original build system used wkhtmltopdf but that has not been maintained in many years. I found an open source program that may work if we don’t already have a solution: weasyprint. It can be installed with brew (it has a ton of dependencies).

I’m in the process of going back to the original open source repo trying to figure out how to properly generate the documentation so we can restore it to the project. The buildbot.mk file got dropped at some point along the way but the scripts is uses still seem to be available.

1 Like

What PDF files?

The guides are generated into a PDF along with the HTML version displayed in the IDE.

The build process also creates a PDF from the notes file which were used to document every change that was made to the repo.

The last 2 files generated are in the repo (9.7.0dp1)

Turns out that weasyprint doesn’t like the HTML that is in the dictionary, so it won’t be as quick and easy as I had hoped.

On Linux, you can still apt-get wkhtmltopdf so building the PDF works fine there. I was able to install the last compiled version and run it using Rosetta on my Mac. I’ve got a branch/PR where it is working.